- Global fundraising remained robust during 2017. Various markets broke records for the largest private equity and venture capital funds ever raised. Aggregate volume increased for buyout and private equity funds; however declined but remained at elevated levels for venture funds.
- The buyout investment pace remained steady across regions. Invested capital varied, with large-cap buyouts in Asia-Pacific and Europe lifting the overall deal volume. In the US, investment volume was down as investment activity was dominated by add-on acquisitions of small and mid-cap companies.
- Exit volume trailed due to subdued exits to trade buyers in the US and Europe. GPs continued to generate strong levels of liquidity through dividend recapitalizations and public markets, with PE-backed IPO activity improving across all regions.
- After a moderate 2016, US and European venture investment volumes rebounded in 2017 as late-stage investments attracted large financing rounds. Exit activity continued at a robust and steady pace, with aggregate exit value falling only slightly short of the prior year’s benchmark.
- The secondary market demonstrated impressive deal volume levels reinforcing the fundamental growth story of the asset class. Pricing of secondary interests rose, driven by a multitude of factors ranging from quality and age of funds offered, to dry powder availability in the secondaries market.
If you wish to continue reading, please request a copy of the report from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer: This document is provided for informational and/or educational purposes. The opinions expressed are as of March 2018 and may change as subsequent conditions vary. The information herein is not to be considered investment advice and is not intended to substitute for the exercise of professional judgment. Recipients are responsible for determining whether any investment, security or strategy is appropriate or suitable and acknowledge by receipt hereof that neither Capital Dynamics AG nor its affiliates (collectively, “Capital Dynamics”) has made any determination that any recommendation, investment, or strategy is suitable or appropriate for the Recipient’s investment objectives and financial situation. A reference to a particular investment or security by Capital Dynamics is not a recommendation to buy, sell or hold such investment or security, nor is it an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy such investment or security. Capital Dynamics may have a financial interest in investments or securities discussed herein or similar investments or securities sponsored by an asset management firm discussed herein. Certain information and opinions herein have been provided by a number of sources that Capital Dynamics considers to be reliable, but Capital Dynamics has not separately verified such information. Nothing contained herein shall constitute any representation or warranty and no responsibility or liability is accepted by Capital Dynamics as to the accuracy or completeness of any information supplied herein. Before relying on this information, Capital Dynamics advises the Recipient to perform independent verification of the data and conduct his own analysis hereto with appropriate advisors. Analyses contained herein are based on assumptions which if altered can change the conclusions reached herein. Capital Dynamics reserves the right to change its opinions or assumptions without notice. This document has been prepared and issued by Capital Dynamics and/or one of its affiliates. In the United Kingdom, this document is issued by Capital Dynamics Ltd., which is authorized and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. For residents of the UK, this report is only directed at persons who have professional experience in matters relating to investments or who are high net worth persons, as those terms are defined in the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000. In the EU, this document is issued to investors qualifying as professional investors (as that term is defined in the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive) by Capital Dynamics Limited (authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority). Registered office: 9th Floor, 9 Colmore Row, Birmingham, West Midlands, B3 2BJ, Company No. 02215798. In the United States, this document has been issued by Capital Dynamics Inc., an SEC-registered investment advisor. Redistribution or reproduction of this document is prohibited without written permission.